Thursday, July 19, 2012

Still Learning

Even though we have lived in the RV for over a year now, we are still learning things.  Last summer we had to learn how to keep it cool inside the RV when it was 110 degrees outside for most of the summer.  The answer to that issue was to cover all the windows with foil insulation, use vent pillows in all the vents, run both air conditioners and 2 fans, and don't go in and out a lot.  Even though that made it dark inside and I couldn't see out the windows, it kept it a cool 72 degrees inside.  A small price to pay for comfort! 
We also learned that doing dishes by hand every 5 minutes was for the birds.  With a family of 4 and very few dishes, we were washing all the time.  We decided to try paper plates instead.  Even though this is not as cost effective, it gives us more time to enjoy life.  Remember our goal is to simplify!
This year I have been trying to figure out how to keep my bread from getting hard on the bottom and moist on the top.  No matter where I put the bread...even in the pantry...it ruins.  So my newest attempt at keeping it fresh is to keep it on the counter top.  As you know, counter top space is very limited in a RV so I invested in a few small wire shelves that allow for things to go on top and underneath the shelf.  Hopefully that will be the solution to my problem.
The next thing I need to learn is how to put the awning out to give us shade from the sun and how to put it up again when the wind picks up.  So far, if my husband is not home to do it, I  have someone else do it for me.  This is a bit inconvenient since in Oklahoma the wind can pick up at any given moment.  
One of the most important things I've learned over the past year (and am still working on) is how to slow down.  My husband always says I don't know how to sit still and do nothing.  I admit I've never been good at that because I feel like I always need to be busy doing something. However, in the last year I've started getting up early to go outside and drink coffee on the porch.  This is my time to sit and do nothing except listen to the birds sing, pray, and read.  I enjoy the mornings so much more now that we are living in the RV because I don't have a million responsibilities to think about like I did living in the house.  This really is a good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment